Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Motor Home

Most homeowners are aware of the risks and concerns that come with carbon monoxide in the home. However, many people fail to realize the risk of CO poisoning that could be present in their motor home. If not prevented and prepared for properly, then carbon monoxide poisoning could lead to potentially fatal outcomes for your family. Therefore, here are some things to keep in mind to help you avoid CO poisoning in your motor home.

Have A Detector

One of the easiest and most obvious solutions to preventing issues related to carbon monoxide poisoning is to have a detector in your motor home. Once you have the CO detector in your motor home, make sure that it is working properly by checking the batteries and ensuring it’s in working order. If it is, then you’ll know if your motor home has dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Look For Openings To The Exterior Of Your Motor Home

It’s important that the exterior of your motor home is maintained properly and kept sealed if you want to keep the inside warm. In addition, it’s equally as important to separate inside and outside air if you want to avoid issues with CO poisoning. If there are places where exhaust can enter the motor home, then you are putting your fellow travelers at risk. Therefore, checking for any damage can help you avoid this from happening.

CO - Be Alarmed!

Inspect Your Motor Home’s Exhaust System

Along with the exterior itself, you can also check your exhaust system as well. By making sure that your exhaust system is running properly, you can limit the potential for any mishaps that lead to CO poisoning. If you are unfamiliar with maintaining the exhaust system of your motor home, then visit your trusted mechanic before you head out on any extended vacations.

Be Aware Of Your Surroundings

When on the open road, drivers need to be continually aware of their surroundings. This includes knowing where to avoid parking. For example, parking near snowbanks, close to buildings, or in other low-circulated places could all lead to CO poisoning concerns. Therefore, be sure to park in large, open, well-circulated areas when you decide to rest up for the next long stretch.

Avoid Using Damaged Equipment

It might look like something is damaged in your motor home, but maybe it’s not bad enough to stop you from driving. However, keep in mind that an improperly functioning motor home is more likely to be dangerous and give you problems. If you notice any damage to your motor home, have it seen to before you hit the open road.

Know What To Look For

If you start to feel lightheaded or otherwise sick, then it’s important that you do not drive your motor home. Instead, pull over and examine your vehicle. If carbon monoxide has entered your motor home, it could make you sick and prove to be difficult for you to drive safely. You can avoid putting yourself and others at risk by pulling over instead.

You and your family are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning every time you get into your motor home. To keep everyone safe, consider the tips here for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning and staying safe while on the road in your motor home.

Do you have questions about purchasing a new or pre-owned motor home or just about the luxury motor home lifestyle in general? If so, please contact us so we can answer all of your questions and concerns!

Leave a Reply